This is the main path, the most frequented, and traditionally named as Sentiero degli Dei (Path of the Gods). We think that walking this trail from east to west is the best choice, the stunning panoramas from the pass of Colle Serra (~580 mamsl, meter above mean sea level) up to Nocelle, Nocella originally, (~430 mamsl) won’t leave you, never.
We suppose you are already in Agerola, Bomerano hamlet, in Piazza Capasso. Leaving the main road behind you, between an Hotel and a bar
lay a side street, via Pennino, sign on the wall also indicates “Sentiero degli Dei” [PIC1], walk down the narrow street for about 250m, then pass under the bridge [PIC 2]and you’ll arrive to a paths junction, turn right and walk over the wooden bridge just in front of you, take the steps to the driveway, turn left and follow it.[PIC3]The road ends in about 450m [PIC4] in a viewpoint.After the viewpoint the trail begins with some going down steps, here, on your right side, you’ll see the Grotta del Biscotto.
After 450m of the trail, past a sharp left turn, you’ll find a fork, keep left (the right is private property).[PIC5]
After 150m the rocky pinnacle you’ll arrive to Colle la Serra “T” junction. Time to choose! which will be your trail? [PIC6&7]lower or higher?
- higher trail: just go on the right past an abandoned building a little higher than 600m; afterwards go down till you meet the lower trail at Cisternuolo, [PIC12]about an altitude of 540m, this option is a little bit rocky but less “up and down”. Keep going straight ahead, seaside on your left to reach Nocelle;
- lower option: so, go left and then immediately right, [PIC8] after few stone steps you’ll get to another “T” crossroad with a sign indicating directions for Nocelle, Positano and Praiano, keep going right (if you go on left you’ll reach Praiano). [PIC9]Less than 500m and you’ll find San Domenico convent junction, keep right (at left you’ll reach Vettica Maggiore, Praiano)[PIC10] and enjoy the breathtaking, wide open. Last crossroads, Cisternuolo, lay after about 1.050m, keep going straight ahead to reach Nocelle.[PIC11]
From here you can’t get lost, at least not easily, just keep in mind these hints:
1. stay on the wide path.
2. keep the sea on your left side.
3. don’t climb in the bush.
4. don’t jump down! Seriously, don’t do it. Looking at some funny folks of the past we strongly advise against jumping down if you haven’t self levitation ability 😉
Once you’ll see a church [PIC13] Nocelle is just in front of you. Then you’ll have three choices:
- 1st, reach main road between Amalfi and Sorrento by foot: walk down to Arienzo, a neighbour of Positano, where you’ll find the main road and the SITA bus stop from/to Amalfi and/or Sorrento. But brace yourself, about 1.700 steps lay between Nocelle and Arienzo, your knees and ankles could ask you a day off after that ;)Just at the end of the path of the Gods you’ll arrive at a cross junction, there is also a public fountain there with fresh drinkable water, keep going down after some steps (“some steps” in Positano means around one hundred) you’ll reach the church of Maria SS. del Carmelo. Having the sea in front of you on your right side there are… “the steps” (read it in your mind with Morgan Freeman’s voice, interesting, isn’t it? :D)
- 2nd, continue to Montepertuso hamlet: at the fountain above described, keep right and walk along the concrete path, in less than 700m you’ll reach the asphalt road. From here, keeping the seaside on your left, in about 1.300m you’ll arrive in Montepertuso (Montepertuso means mountain with a hole in italian, the Monte Gambera is that one). Be careful at two things: 1. fast local pilots 2. when walking along the road pay attention where your feet are placed, holes on both sides of the road are not uncommon and, for sure, you prefer a picture of the Path of the Gods instead of an x-ray for dislocation as a memory of the hike.
- 3rd, reach the Nocelle bus stop and catch one to go downtown Positano: as above, along the concrete path, just after a grocery (lay on left side) you’ll see stone steps on the right, keep it and after some steps (do not forget, “some steps” in Positano means around one hundred) you’ll arrive in the parking, keep going on the asphalt road, after 50m you’ll see a yellow sign with the timetable. You can buy ticket in the grocery above mentioned, on the bus is more expensive.
This path start from point A and finish to B in the map below. Pay attention due to map and software updating the above info could be not precise. Take it as an generic overview.Hoping these information helped you in some way. A better free information is a priority, just in pair with the quality of service we sell so, if you think there are errors or you have tips on how to improve these pages, invest a minute to write and tell us, it will be really appreciated not only by us but by also all the people who will reach this site.Pictures courtesy of Giovanni Visetti