This is the main path, the most frequented “eastward version”. At Amalfi Coast Inside Guide I think that walking this trail from west to east isn’t the best choice you can take, the amazing wide open panoramas lays just behind you for all the path. This doesn’t mean you won’t appreciate the path. Having the magnificence of the path on your back side let you concentrate on details, small details.
We suppose you are already in Positano and precisely in the Nocelle neighbour, just at the end of the asphalt road, in the parking area. Looking at the sea you can see a stair, take it, past a small grocery after less than 150m you’ll arrive at a crossroad, there is also a fountain (time to refill your bottle 😉 ). Turn left, go up for some steps and follow the concrete path, you’ll find a small roof with many painted pots, it’s my house 😉 , go ahead, the path is just steps away.
From here you can’t easily loose yourself until first crossroad, just keep in mind these hints:
1. stay on the wide path.
2. keep the sea on your right side.
3. don’t climb in the bush.
4. don’t jump down! Seriously, don’t do it. Looking at some funny folks of the past we strongly advise against jumping down if you haven’t self levitation ability 😉
After about 2,3km you’ll reach Cisternuolo crossroads, at about 540m of altitude is easy to recognize, there is a sign indicating “Nocelle Positano”. Time for an hard choice: which will be your trail? lower or higher?
- higher trail: this is a less “up and down” option than lower so just go on the left, a gentle, but sometime slippery, slope will bring you up, after some bends you’ll walk near an old limekiln (usually you need a local guide to understand where is it), then terraces. Past an abandoned building a little higher than 600mamsl, afterwards go down till you meet the Colle Serra crossroads: left is your destiny if you want to reach Bomerano, Agerola (if you choose right and right again you’ll meet another crossroads with a sign indicating “Praiano Nocelle Positano”).
- lower option: not for vertigo sufferers, is not a joke! go right, be careful on this rocky slope, specially if wet. After few bend you’ll reach the most breathtaking panorama, a vertical rock wall of 135m, down on your left there is Vettica Maggiore, Praiano, on your right the vastness of the sea up to Capri island (don’t forget, a local guide can tell you a lot about lore, history, flora and fauna). Continuing on the main path you’ll reach San Domenico convent junction, keep left (at right you’ll reach Vettica Maggiore, Praiano, through the convent path) and “climb” the stone stairway. The last crossroads of the path is just ahead, a signboard indicates “Praiano Positano Nocelle”, you are in Colle Serra junction, choose the steps on your left, then taking left again will bring you to the higher/lower trail crossroads, go right to reach Bomerano (left to the higher trail).
Many bends across the terraces after the rocky pinnacle (just after 150m Colle Serra) you’ll reach Grotta del Biscotto, Bomerano is not so far, after some steps follow the asphalt road till you’ll find some steps on your right side, you can easily recognize because these steps will end in a wooden bridge. After it go left along the narrow street, pass under the bridge and after 250m you’ll finish: Piazza Capasso in Bomerano, the Agerola’s hamlet behind the Path of the Gods. Here you’ll find grocery, bars, a public fountain and many other useful things.
Once in Bomerano you’ll have three choices:
- 1st, reach the main road to Amalfi and then the SITA bus: this will bring you to Amalfi or Amalfi/Agerola crossroads and then the bus to Sorrento (Praiano and Positano also).
- 2nd, stay in Bomerano hamlet for lunch: there are restaurants or grocerys around the square, as we don’t take kickback (bribe) from anyone, we prefer to not publish any name.
- 3rd, enjoy the way back to Nocelle via the Path of Gods: maybe doing the higher trail instead of lower and vice versa. Here more informations.
This path start from point B and finish to A in the map below.
Hoping these information helped you in some way. We at Zia Lucy think that a better free information is a priority, just in pair with the quality of service we sell so, if you think there are errors or you have tips on how to improve these pages, invest a minute to write and tell us, it will be really appreciated not only by us but by also all the people who will reach this site.