This is not the main path, but give you the best part of it. Most frequented by people who stay in Praiano or Vettica Maggiore. Walking this trail from east to west is the best choice, at least is what I think, the stunning panoramas from the pass of Colle Serra (~580 mamsl, meter above mean sea level) up to Nocelle, Nocella originally, (~430 mamsl) won’t leave you, never. But the steps are many and the first part of the path could be a little tough during hottest periods of the year.
We suppose you are in Praiano and we also suppose you are just in front of the church of S. Maria di Costantinopoli. On the asphalt road (via Costantinopoli) go on the right and uphill for less than 300m, you’ll see the church of S. Luca on your right/seaside, at this point on your left there is a steep stairway (if you arrived in via Trivio you went too far), take it! at the end of it starts the path, choose left and after 250m the path heads right around the ridge. Keep going straight ahead having the sea on your left side, you’ll reach a water tank just underneath the rock, then hundreds of steps will join you in this little “climb”. After that a mild slope will transport you up trough a muletrack to Colle Serra junction (walk carefully on the slopes). Now is time to choose! which will be the rest of your Path of the Gods? lower or higher?
- higher trail: just go on the right, after some stone steps keep left and stay left (if you turn right you’ll arrive in Bomerano, Agerola) past an abandoned building a little higher than 600m; afterwards go down till you meet the lower trail at Cisternuolo, about an altitude of 540m, this option is a little bit rocky but less “up and down”. Keep going straight ahead, seaside on your left, to reach Nocelle;
- lower option: go ahead keeping the seaside on your left. Less than 500m and you’ll find San Domenico convent junction, keep right (at left you’ll reach Vettica Maggiore, Praiano) and enjoy the breathtaking, wide open. Last crossroads, Cisternuolo, lay after about 1.050m, keep going straight ahead to reach Nocelle.
From here you can’t loose yourself, at least not easily, just keep in mind these hints:
1. stay on the wide path.
2. keep the sea on your left side.
3. don’t climb in the bush.
4. don’t jump down! Seriously, don’t do it. Looking at some funny folks of the past we strongly advise against jumping down if you haven’t self levitation ability 😉
Once in Nocelle you’ll have three choices:
- 1st, reach main road between Amalfi and Sorrento by foot: walk down to Arienzo, a neighbour of Positano, where you’ll find the main road and the SITA bus stop from/to Amalfi and/or Sorrento. But brace yourself, about 1.700 steps lay between Nocelle and Arienzo, your knees and ankles could ask you a day off after that 😉
Just at the end of the path of the Gods you’ll arrive at a cross junction, there is also a public fountain there with fresh drinkable water, keep going down after some steps (“some steps” in Positano means around one hundred) you’ll reach the church of Maria SS. del Carmelo. Having the sea in front of you on your right side there are… “the steps” (read it in your mind with Morgan Freeman’s voice, interesting, isn’t it? :D)
- 2nd, continue to Montepertuso hamlet: at the fountain above described, keep right and walk along the concrete path, in less than 700m you’ll reach the asphalt road. From here, keeping the seaside on your left, in about 1.300m you’ll arrive in Montepertuso (Montepertuso means mountain with a hole in italian, the Monte Gambera is that one). Be careful at two things: 1. fast local pilots 2. when walking along the road pay attention where your feet are placed, holes on both sides of the road are not uncommon and, for sure, you prefer a picture of the Path of the Gods instead of an x-ray for dislocation as a memory of the hike.
- 3rd, reach the Nocelle bus stop and catch one to go downtown Positano: as above, along the concrete path, just after a grocery (lay on left side) you’ll see stone steps on the right, keep it and after some steps (do not forget, “some steps” in Positano means around one hundred) you’ll arrive in the parking, keep going on the asphalt road, after 50m you’ll see a yellow sign with the timetable. You can buy ticket in the grocery above mentioned, on the bus is more expensive.
This path start from point C and finish to B in the map below.
Hoping these information helped you in some way. A better free information is a priority, just in pair with the quality of service we sell so, if you think there are errors or you have tips on how to improve these pages, invest a minute to write and tell us, it will be really appreciated not only by us but by also all the people who will reach this site.